The Life and Times...

Mostly family stuff. Some Irish history, ancient history, religion and early Christian history.

Friday, July 23, 2004

Evelyn McCarville's 1927 Diary, February 2 and 3

Feb 2 (1927)
Wed.

            Lovely weather we are having. At least we’d call it lovely because we aren’t freezing to death. There is a rather cool breeze blowing, and the ice is melting. The streets are full of sloppy water, and things look like they usually do after a January thaw – terrible. I can imagine a resident of California throwing up his hands in dispair and a Floridan dying of grief – but we call it “lovely weather”.
            Oh I’ve been so busy lately. Saturday and Sunday at the retreat. Honestly, with my severe S.J.A. idea of a retreat, this affair we had resembled a picnic more than anything else. Sunday morning at Drexel Lodge we laughed and talked and played. They didn’t expect us to do otherwise. 
            Retreat ended Sunday afternoon with holy hour and the Papal Blessing. It was lovely. I love retreats any way, and he was a marvelous confessor.
            Sunday night Ruth and I had dates with Swede Gebhert and Ellsworth “Van” Van Slate. They took us to a show and then out to Frank Knuths Café. We met oodles of other Marquette kids. Lots of fun, ! Met Frances O’Boyle, the girl works at the Union. She knew Gebhart and I. Wherever she’d been before we saw her she’d had something to drink, and she begged us not to tell on her. In fact she said she’d break every bone in my body if T told, and she’d cash even bum checks for me if I didn’t. I felt sorry for her, but she surely was a funny sight.
            Monday night I stayed at French’s. They’ve been asking me to, and so I decided I’d better. They wanted me to stay all week, but gosh. I didn’t want to.
            Monday, we registered, too, and had to go thru that goofy old red tape again – tiresome but my schedule is not so worse except for hygiene class, which lasts until 6 on Wednesday. Here is my schedule.

 

                        Monday            Tuesday            Wednesday            Thursday         Friday
History 9                                              9                                              9
“ Quiz                                                                                       10
Religion                                    10
Journalism            10                                            10                                            10
P. Speaking                              11
Sociology            11                                            11                                            11
French              1                      1                      1                      1
Gym                                         9                                              9
Hygiene                                                            4:30
Swimming                                                                                                         2

Not really bad in some respects – especially no 8 o’clocks
            Tuesday night I stayed at Dorothy’s again, and she and I had dates with “Mike” and “Manny”. They took us the Strand, and the Majestic (Sweet Shop) and riding. We had a wonderful time, even if we didn’t get in until 2. I like Mike, but I’m too slow for him. But he says he likes me, any way and he surely is one cute boy. He goes to Normal.
            I’m going to bed now. Will finish later. Dead tired. More of this anon.

Feb. 3
Thursday
Somebody called me up last night at 8:30 and I wasn’t here. Gosh, I wonder who it was.
Mama None (ed: pronounced like bone) wrote me a 4 page letter today and I almost fell over in a dead faint. She usually writes notes instead of letters. It was all of the latest gossip from Tillie Herrick, and oh boy! All Tillie didn’t talk about. Mama None happened to mention that Father Daniky told me I had the inferiority complex and T. went and got a pencil, asked her what it meant and how to spell it, and wrote it down. Why, I can’t imagine.
I was talking to Slaby and Sheehan today, and Sheehan asked me to fo the the Notre Dame game with him Friday. He also asked me if I were going to the Prom, and when I sadly replied “No” he seemed surprised. He’s homely, but I’d even go with him.
I don’t know what I going to do about that 4:30 class. Just happened to think about it.
Ruth and I are going down town in a few minutes. I have the funniest feeling as if someone were going to call, so were going to give them until 8:30. Its 8:04 now. Guess I’ll sign off for a while.



NOTE (NOT PART OF DIARY): AS YOU MAY KNOW FROM AN EARLIER BLOG, EVELYN'S GRANDAUGHTER JULIANNE HAS BEEN TRANSCRIBING THESE DIARY PAGES FOR THE BLOG. WELL SHE HAS NOT MADE ANY RECENT PAGES FOR ME TO ENTER HERE, SO IF YOU WISH TO SEE MORE OF THESE, PLEASE LET HER KNOW BY ENTERING THE COMMENT BOX.

2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Johnny Mack said...

I think that it is great reading about Grandma.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger McCarville said...

Nothing works as well as guilt. Thanks Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home