The Life and Times...

Mostly family stuff. Some Irish history, ancient history, religion and early Christian history.

Sunday, July 11, 2004

Thomas J. McCarville

It has been four months since my brother TJ passed away. Inbetween the stages of initial shock and the final realization of loss, there is a middle stage of joy. I hope this comes across ok, but it is the joy in the slow realization of how complex and good a character he was. The realization comes from all of the stories friends and relatives told about a TJ. While all of the stories rung true, because I knew he was that way to me, I never knew how deeply he impacted so many. It kind of magnifies the vision and understanding of him that I had in so many wonderful ways and it makes sense of old Irish song, slightly modified, to say "Tommy we hardly knew you".

2 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Johnny Mack said...

I'm still amazed with people that are still walking up to me and mentioning how much dad touched them.
I don't think that is going to slow down either.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you. I had a similar experience with each of my grandfathers when they died. There were times the stories made me cry and smile at the same time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home