The Life and Times...

Mostly family stuff. Some Irish history, ancient history, religion and early Christian history.

Saturday, July 03, 2004

Evelyn McCarville's 1927 Diary, January 12, 13, 14, 18 and 25, 1927

JAN. 12
Wednesday

My short story for Journalism is driving me to drink. It just seems to thwart me, every move I make, My characters are all so stubborn, and even my ideas have formed a union against me. I did so want to make the Journal, but heaven only knows if I will! I’m going to work on the crazy old thing tonight.
Here’s a poem out of R.H.L.’s 1926 Linebook that I’m simply crazy about. I’m going to write a story on it some day:
“I’ll go to Camelot. I’ll go to Crete.
You’ll live forever on this small street.
I’ll wear silken robes…gay colors spilled.
You’ll wear the palest things… soft things frilled.
I’ll know many men, strange men and wild,
You’ll know but one man and bear his child.
You will bring peacefulness… bake little tarts,
I’ll bring inquietude. Strange things – hearts!”
I think it is lovely, and oh it expressed my views exactly. Flay and I used to differ so, and now she’s engaged and on the road to her ambition. Mine? I wonder. “Strange things – hearts!”


JAN 13
Thurs.

I’m so tired tonight that I’m going to bed right away. I had to work until about since, and after eating supper at Julia Fischers I came home and have been studying. I’m simply a wreck. My Public Speaking outline is due tomorrow, my Religion thesis, and my Journalism short story. I’m just dead, so heres to bed. It’s 5 after eleven.


JAN 14
Fri.

The funniest thing happened tonight. Ruth and I and Vivian and Antoinette were at the Marquette high school to hear the Leland Stanford debate. After it was over, and we were going to catch the car, four fellows were waiting for us, “Mike” and Emanuel, and two unknowns. The 2 unk. Fellows grabbed us by the arm, and dashed us to a street car, leaving M. and E. in the soup. When they got us to the car they had to sit further up in the front. At 12th St. they got off. Now would you call yourself jilted or not? We’re completely flabbergasted.


JAN 18
Tues.

I haven’t had much time lately on account of that crazy old Ecco. Manufacturing Co. Mr. French has the idea that we should deem it a privilege to be able to work after our regular time. Tonight I quit at 6:20 which was early.
I’ve been awfully busy, anyway. I worked all day Saturday and Saturday night we went to the Marquette Creighton game. Sunday Ruth and I went to 2 masses, and Sunday afternoon I spent in the library, and in watching them take a dead person out of the house across the street – that creepy looking house, behind the deaconess home. Sunday night Ruth and I went to a movie, and some boy called while I was gone. Darn!
Monday night I went to “Cyrano de Bergerac” by Edivin Abner Thompson ath the Marquette High School auditorium. It was wonderful.
I am simply scared stiff about exams. We had religion today, which was not so worse, but I don’t think I wrote an “A”. French? Terrible! History: fierce! Sociology _____? _____!
I simply cannot study tonight, and neither can Ruth. We started in about 7:30, but she was hungry so we both went down to Julia Fischers. On the way home we got a paper, and of course we both had to read that. Then she had to take a bath, and I had top write in here! It’s exactly 9:30 and we haven’t started yet! What’s more I’m not in the mood for it at all.
I’m so mad. This Mathieson kid in our Journalism class (he’s going to Madison next semester) well anyway I met him downtown tonight, and he said (after hello) “how are you?” and I didn’t hear and went on! I’ve been crazy to have a date with him all semester, and I just know he meant business tonight. It just makes me sick.
I’m afraid to face Father Daniky tomorrow in Journalism class. That short story I handed in was so rotten.


JAN 25
Tues.

Oh boy, believe me, if I didn’t play the lady of fashion stunt today! Arose about ten, took a bath, read, wrote, then dressed. By that time it was one o’clock so I went downtown, and then to work. Time, so much free time didn’t see possible, and I’m going to do the same thing tomorrow.
The reason I haven’t written in you (Diary dear – as they say) is because I’ve been so rushed to pieces, I didn’t know what I was doing half the time.
Since last Tuesday lots of things have happened. Wednesday we studied a little, but we didn’t over-do it. Thurs. I had Sociology exam, and I guess I got through, altho’ I surely had to copy. I’ve felt like a dog since, but I simply had to. Friday we had History and French. After French, Ruth went to Kenosha, and after work I went to Frenchs’ for supper, and stayed all night. (By the way, I read “gentlemen Prefer Blondes” while there) Saturday morning I went to work of course. Saturday night I went to the Michigan State game and stayed all night with Gutsche and Dona, thy Chlebawski. Sunday I went to church, and also had a marvelous chicken dinner at Drew’s Sunday night – the Alhambra. Monday, English exam, work, and read “The Girl of the Golden West”.
Tuesday – here I am. Oh, I forgot, Thursday night Vivian G. Webb Taylor, ? Van Slate and I all went to the show, and afterwards to the Oneida Bridge Restaurant. Had a dandy time, [shorthand I can’t read] !
So much for the events of last week. I really believe I did pretty well in them, but you never can tell. I thought so in the mid-semester too, and got fooled. None were as bad as I expected tho’ even Sociology. I gave Dr. Derry a line after class, and as he likes to be fed lines by girls, I hope mine helped.
I was invited down to Kenosha by Ruth’s sister over the weekend, and was invited by Elizabeth Clark to her home in Green Bay. Had to turn ‘em both down, darn it!
Tomorrow I am going to spend writing letters – I’m going to write to every single one of my correspondents to whom I owe letters – just see if I don’t!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home