The Life and Times...

Mostly family stuff. Some Irish history, ancient history, religion and early Christian history.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Prayers that God always answers (feel free to make adaptations that work for you).
November 11, 2013


Prayer #1. This is my favorite prayer. I use it all the time and I am constantly surprised that the answer is always the same.


Jim: "God gimme this" or, maybe sometimes, "God gimme that".

God: "Jim, I, or fate, will do whatever. There is no guarantee that you will be free of sickness, death and heartbreak, along with a lot of the good things too. Your job is not so much to tell me what to do (although I really don't mind), but to cope with whatever it is that does happen. That is your job. You can always ask for more help, you will find them even if only for one day at a time. Start getting ready. When it happens, tell me how it is going. I will always listen to you. Sometimes even you listen to me."


Prayer #2a When I can't make sense of life.

Jim: God, I don't really understand, but if I fight with you, you will win. You will win whether it makes sense to me or not. Help me cope and survive whatever happens. I hope it does not hurt too bad.

Prayer #2b When I have done something I feel bad about or I feel inadequate about what I did do.

Jim: God forgive me as, and if, I forgive others. Remind me. I need to do this every day. Don't make it too hard. By myself I am not that strong. Keep me safe. Keep all of us safe.

God does not really need to say anything. The answer is self-contained.


Prayer #3. I love this prayer. I say it a lot without even thinking that I am talking to God. One does not even need to believe in God for it to work. I hear agnostics and atheists say it all the time. It always start with the same two words.

Jim: "'Oh, God'. I am in trouble and I have no idea how to get out. Help me."

Again, God doesn't need to say anything to provide his answer. I just have to admit that the problem is bigger than me and I need some outside intervention. Sometimes it comes in a new turn of events, more often it is a friend's helping hand, sometimes, it is just a hard lesson learned. Whatever,  it can be coped with.


Prayer #4. Thanking God. When I am in a really good mood and I want to thank God, I ask him how to pay back the favors I have received. I don't use this prayer nearly as often as I should.

Jim: "Thanks God. I am really fortunate with all of the gifts you have showed me. What is expected of me? What can I do for you?"

God: "Lend a hand. Help others find the courage to cope when bad things happen that they do not understand. Be a friend. Moreover, think constantly how even the simple things you do helps or hurts others."


Prayer #5.  To thank my guardian angel. A lot of people don't believe in guardian angels. For me, I could never explain how I have lucked out of so many tight spots if I didn't have one. Macumba and Santaria call them "Santos". In this prayer, the answer surprised me.

Jim: "Dear Angel (or Santo), you have been so good to me, is there anything I can do to repay you?"

Angel: "Jim, like you, I am starting to get old. You could help by trying to make my job a little easier."

OK, I am glad he has a sense of humor, but I guess I can try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home